Hola Amigos, buenos dias! Alright, that’s about the extent of my Spanish, aside from a few key culinary terms. Cinco de Mayo is tomorrow which, as we all know, is the holiday where we celebrate Americanized-Mexican cuisine and tequila (either straight or in our favorite margarita recipe) and, later, black out. (Oh wait…is that just me?? Ummmm…). Yeah, it has a historical meaning for many, but let’s be honest – to most Americans it’s essentially just a day to get drunk and eat Mexican food. This year it falls on a Monday which just isn’t the most get-drunk friendly day of the week for me, so Anthony and I decided to celebrate today.
Neither one of us felt like dealing with the charcoal grill today, so I decided it was time for me to develop a slow cooker taco recipe. I wanted something smoky and spicy, so I immediately thought of canned chipotles in adobo sauce, then during a marathon recipe research (i.e., lots of Google searching), I developed my recipe for Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken Tacos, and paired it with a delicious Spicy Goat Cheese Queso. It turned out absolutely amazing! The smoky flavor of the chipotle paired well with the goat cheese. Those two distinct flavors were then complemented by the fresh cilantro, green onion, and creamy avocado I used as topping for the tacos. Luckily all this was gluten-free, as Mexican food is one of the most easily adapted foods to this diet.
Now on to the recipe!
2 lbs boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs
1 can of Chipotles in Adobo sauce
1 can fire-roasted diced tomato or, if you really like spice, Rotel diced tomato w/ habanero
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 fl. oz tequila
1 lime, quartered
Package of corn tortillas **note – for gluten-free, be very careful to choose gluten-free corn tortillas – many brands still add flour to their corn tortillas
1. Pull out the chipotle peppers from the adobo sauce and chop finely, put into a bowl and pour the adobo sauce back over the chopped peppers.
2. Drain choice of canned diced tomato and add to the bowl. Add the chili powder, cumin, and tequila and mix well. Pour into slow cooker.
3. Trim chicken thighs, place in the sauce in the slow cooker and stir to cover the chicken with the sauce. Squeeze lime juice all over and place the limes into the slow cooker.
4. Set slow cooker on either High for 4-5 hours, or Low for 7-8 hours. Occasionally (maybe once per hour), stir the chicken pieces around and spoon sauce over them.
5. Once cooked, pull the chicken pieces out and allow to cool. While the chicken is cooling, make the Spicy Goat Cheese Queso (link to recipe I used here), **Note I used Cup 4 Cup’s all-purpose flour to made my roux gluten-free, and warm corn tortillas
6. When queso is prepared, shred the now cooled chicken with two forks.
7. Assemble tacos per your personal taste (I added chicken drizzled with some of the leftover cooking liquid, a nice spoonful of the queso, a slice of avocado, some garden-fresh lettuce, diced red onion, and some fresh green onion and cilantro).
Now we wouldn’t want the rest of the tequila to go to waste, now would we?